Saturday, January 23, 2010

Good days

Friday we had visitors - Margaret and Brian. We have been friends since before Kevin and I married - Kevin and Brian shared a house in Bridgetown in the South West when we were all young teachers there.

Margaret is a double cancer survivor. More than 30 years ago she had surgery for ovarian cancer which disappeared after treatment. Some 4 years ago she developed breast cancer and having had chemo and radiation she is now in remission. It was helpful to talk to her. Different cancers, but a lot of the issues are the same. Thank you, Margaret.

Since her remission they have been travelling heaps: Malaysia over Christmas and New Year, the US and Canada coming up in May. I think I would like to do the same once I get an all clear for a long trip. In the meantime I think we may well be able to manage a week in Queensland in May for the 50th reunion of Kevin's teacher training group.

Today I went to the first meeting of the year for one of the textile groups I belong to. I have had diarrhoea today, but there were no embarrassing incidents. It was tiring, even though I spent most of the time sitting down, but I am determined to maintain as many as possible of the activities I have been involved in. If I can make it I will go.

I have been dozing this afternoon and think I will be early to bed. I have eaten quite a bit today - I have had no trouble with food this cycle.

1 comment:

  1. Joan, I found your blog because I too have been writing about how I am coping with cancer, oesophageal in my case. I've found blogging very helpful in keeping me thinking positively. I hope you're finding the same thing happening. One of the things that is helping me is knowing that there are people reading the blog and thinking of me, so I wanted to pay some of that goodwill forward. I hope you don't mind. I'll be thinking of you, and wishing you well.

    Your story sounds quite similar to mine, and I think you're coping fantastically with the side-effects. Good luck to you. I hope your treatment keeps on improving how you feel.

    ReplyDelete