Monday, January 11, 2010

End of the first cycle

I went to SJG Murdoch this morning for the obligatory blood test required before the next round of chemo. Great service - I was out of there in less than 15 minutes, despite the usual problem of finding the vein in my right elbow.

I have felt really well the last 2 days. Today I did some sewing, then went to the dentist in the late afternoon. I was overdue for a checkup and thought I should get this done before possible side effects of mouth ulcers etc. I got a compliment - apparently I clean my teeth really well and the calcium deposit was minimal - plus the welcome information that I don't need any dental treatment and that my gums are healthy and should cope OK with the effects of chemo. And a bonus - HBF was charged the standard fee, but the gap (usually considerable and payable by the patient) was waived. Obviously a sympathy vote, but guess who will remain a loyal patient and possibly recommend others?

My appetite has returned to normal so I cooked a favourite meal tonight. Mediterranean vegetables - eggplant, fennel, courgettes, tomatoes, garlic and basil sprinkled with olive oil and sea salt and baked at 200C till done - and lamb cutlets. I also cooked a big pot of chicken soup for tomorrow. Since I don't start the chemo till 2PM it will be quite late when we get home so it will be a bonus just to heat a meal.

While I can't say I am looking forward to tomorrow, it will be interesting to discover if cycle 2 is different to the one I am just finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment