Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Silence of the Dying

I keep the lift out magazines from the weekend papers to read later in the week, and I hadn't got to last Sunday's yet, when I encountered reference to an article in it on one of the blogs I read. So I had to find the article and read it. It is in the Perth Sunday Times magazine of June 6.

The article is an interview with the Australian writer Sara Douglass who has ovarian cancer and contains excerpts from a blog entry she wrote on May 22, called The Silence of the Dying. I read her blog regularly, and had read the article which I found very moving, and had made a comment. Now there are nearly double the comments, many now from people who read the article over the weekend.

Reading it again, I think it should be required reading for anyone who has dealings with a person who is terminally ill. I wish I had read it before my father died 10 years ago and before the death of the partners of friends. I would like all my friends and relatives to read it. Read it for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better, am off to read the article.......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is a very moving and powerful article.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete