Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cycle 5

My white blood cells were OK in yesterday's test, so I had my 5th infusion of oxaliplatin, fluorouracil and leucovorin today and am now home with the attached pump feeding in 100ml of fluorouracil over the next 46 hours.

The oncologist wants me to continue on a fortnightly treatment regime so he has lowered the dosages. Apparently I received the maximum doses on the first four cycles and that was a bit too toxic for my white cells. I am quite happy to continue with fortnightly treatments - I want this over and done with ASAP.

A bit of good news - the CEA (tumor marker) continues to fall and is now 1300, compared to 9000 on initial testing. Still a long way to go, but a really good sign that the chemo is doing the cancers some damage.

I am now booked for another CT scan at the end of this month, though I don't know the exact date as yet. I can't wait! Hoping for good news of course, but really want to know if this has been worth while. I will have had my 6th, maybe even my 7th cycle by the time it is done, so I will be more than halfway through the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment