Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cycle 8 and a twin

Today was the eighth time I have had the weedkillers pumped into my body. The procedure is quite boring - 4 hours sitting in a chair. You can watch television, and tea, coffee and sandwiches are on offer. I usually read while listening to music on my iTouch (a Christmas present), but today I took along my knitting as well.

It aroused quite a bit of interest with the nurses. Another patient saw it and sent his wife along to find out about it, since she was also a crafty person. We had a pleasant chat.

Then I discovered a twin, sitting diagonally opposite. As the various bags are connected to the pump, the nurses work in pairs to check that the correct poison is being administered to the correct patient as per the details on one's armband. They read out name and date of birth. The guy diagonally opposite and I share the same birthday (April 2) but not the same birth year - I am 12 years older than he is. He heard the date and came over later to chat.

His last two birthdays have not been wonderful. Last year he was diagnosed with bladder cancer the day before his birthday. He had surgery, and was given the all clear. This year, again the day before his (our) birthday, a CT scan showed lung mets. They are inoperable and chemo is the only treatment, but it doesn't appear his oncologist is very hopeful for success. His prognosis is a year, though if the chemo he started today doesn't work, they will try the stuff I am having, which is for bowel cancer. I wish him well.

Today the reaction to the Oxyplatin kicked in almost immediately with severe tingling in the fingers and lower legs. It usually waits till the next day. This is apparently an indication that the nerves are becoming more and more damaged.

The oncologist confirmed today that the next cycle will be the last with FOLFOX6 - so no more Oxyplatin after that. And a bit of good news - my CEA has dropped to 1000 so it seems the cancers are quieting down a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear about your CEA count getting so low. I hope it's some compensation for the tingling and loss of taste.

    And I like your calling the chemo "weedkiller". It puts things in the proper perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete